The Joy of Aroma Chemistry
with E. Joy Bowles, PhD, BSc (Hons)
October 20-21, 2018
SpringHill Suites-Boulder/Longmont, CO
This exciting two-day workshop allows you to get to grips with the fundamentals of chemistry and pharmacology as they apply to aromatherapy. Let’s have some fun exploring chemistry with Dr Joy, using hands-on models, dancing, drama and samples of essential oils. You will learn what’s so special about oxygen atoms in essential oil molecules, and how chemical structure affects the metabolic fate of molecules in the body. You will evolve your understanding of why certain oils are considered safe, and others are not, along with deeper insights into how essential oil constituents affect cellular functions. Your clients will appreciate your enhanced knowledge as you are able to explain how different essential oils work from a scientific perspective.
In this workshop you will learn...
- Understand the types of atoms, molecules and bonding in essential oil molecules – the foundation of what gives essential oil constituents their properties.
- Describe elements of a simple chemical reaction and understand that all of life operates with chemical reactions.
- Explain how carbon skeleton structure, double bonds, aromatic rings and the presence of oxygen-containing functional groups affect therapeutic action
- Understand quality and purity of essential oils and when it’s important to be sure.
- Explain key pharmacology concepts relating to essential oils
- Explain why oil and water don’t mix and how this impacts on pharmacokinetics of essential oils
- Describe the pathways of essential oils through the body, and possible interaction sites along the way
- Describe the relationship of different functional groups to one another e.g. alcohols and esters,aldehydes, ketones and acids and pharmacological implications.
- Understand the basics of how cells function
- Understand known activities of essential oil molecules at the cellular level
- Explain reasons for red-flag constituents, and which health conditions need more care when using essential oils.
E. Joy Bowles Biography
- Bachelor of Science and Honours from Macquarie University, majoring in Cell Biology and Organic Chemistry.
- Developed and presented lecture series and workshops in Chemistry of Essential Oils for Aromatherapists 1991-2002
- Published author, "The Chemistry of Aromatherapeutic Essential Oils" (2003, Allen & Unwin)
- PhD, Southern Cross University 2003-2006, awarded 2007 investigating the potential for essential oils to improve cognitive function in dementia.
- IELTS Officer, English Language Centre, UNE 2008-2010
- Chronic Disease Program Manager, New England Division of General Practice, and now New England Medicare Local, 2011- 2015.
- Research Assistant, Telehealth Skills Training and Implementation Evaluation project, with Dr Michelle Guppy, 2013-2015.
- Project Coordinator, Keeping my place in the community: achieving aging-in-place for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, ARC-funded project, 2015-2017.
- Research Officer, A rural registry and chronic care model for chronic kidney disease and diabetes, with Dr Michelle Guppy, 2016-2017.
Registration* $450 / $375 through 6/15/18!
*Nonrefundable - Please do not book your airline tickets until the class minimum is met. Min.30/Max.50
You must indicate your phone number
and email address
when registering. Please check your PayPal receipt
for how your name is displayed. This is the name that will appear on your CPD Certificate. If you need to make any corrections to your name
, please send us an email
Special hotel rate available when you register here! (Link we be uploaded when available)
The special discounted group rates will be present. Please book your room no later than September 18, 2018 to ensure the discounted rate. (Rate is good for a couple of days before and after class, when you register before 9/19/18.)
Choose to stay at either hotel (the Courtyard hotel is one of three Marriott hotels clustered together and is very walkable to SpringHill Suites for the class). Amenities vary by hotel. Choose what is best for you.
SpringHill Suites-Boulder/Longmont for $129.00 per night
Choose a King Suite or 2 Double Bed Suite
(includes: breakfast, microwave and refrigerator, coffee maker, indoor pool)
Click here for more hotel information
Courtyard by Marriott-Boulder/Longmont for $125.00 per night
Choose a King room with sofa bed or 2 Double Bed room
(THIS HOTEL DOES NOT INCLUDE breakfast, microwave or refrigerator).
There is an onsite restaurant/bistro and indoor pool + whirlpool.
Click here for more hotel information
Book your reservation at the group rate for IJPHA here. (Link we be uploaded when available)
Date: October 20-21, 2018
Time: 9:00 AM-5:00 PM
Location: SpringHill Suites-Boulder/Longmont
1470 Dry Creek Drive
Longmont, CO 80503
A Note About Our Courses: Course registrations are evaluated on the Early Bird deadline. If the minimum is not met by the Early Bird deadline, the course may be cancelled and full refunds will be given. To ensure your desired course moves forward, we encourage you to sign up before the Early Bird deadline. Course fees are Nonrefundable. In the event we have met the maximum number for the course, your course fees can be transferred to another should you need to cancel. When the minimum
number has been met, we will post an update
to the course page. In the event that we have
filled a course you desire,you can request to
be placed on the wait list in case of any cancel-
lations. We ask that you do not purchase your
airfare until the minimum number has been met.
In the event the IJPHA cancels the class, you will
receive a full refund.We recommend that you
purchase a refundable ticket or travel insurance
in case of any unforeseen issue. The IJPHA is not
responsible for refunds for your travel.